Not logged in. · Lost password · Register
Forum: agsXMPP RSS
tradle #1
Member since Jan 2007 · 10 posts
Group memberships: Members
Show profile · Link to this post
Subject: Create on the fly conference
Hi All -

I've read and re-read the posts in the forum that seemingly address this to no avail (http://forum.ag-software.de/forum.php?req=thread&id=334 among them).  What I'm trying to do is add an additional user to a chat session, and allow for subsequent users to be added as time goes on during the life of the chat/conference.  Now, I realize with the addition of the 3rd user, I have to create a room and then theoretically, the MessageType changes to "groupchat" and all subsequent messages are sent to the new JID of the room.  I get that part of the equation - but I can't figure out how to do it using the .NET SDK as I can't find anything in the SDK classes having to do with the MUC Manager.  I'm using Wildfire, and have seen the settings for groupchat so I know in theory I can do what I'm looking to do.

Thanks in advace for your help with this.

Tim
Alex #2
Member since Feb 2003 · 4449 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
Hello tradle,

yes you found the correct thread, this is exactly the way to go. For creating new or joining existing conferences you have to use the JoinRoom or CreateReservedRoom Members.
Its also very helpful to read the MUC XEP to understand all features of MUC.
If there is something missing in the MUC-Manager then let us know.

Alex
tradle #3
Member since Jan 2007 · 10 posts
Group memberships: Members
Alex -

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!  For the CreateNewRoom(JID) method, I understand that the JID involved is the JID of the room.  Just so I'm clear, in this sense, the JID is a logical one (not "physical" and implicitly tied to a UI object), right?  So - if I actually use the same UI to receive the messages from the participating users, the only two things that will change are the MessageType and the JID that is receiving the messages.  The process, then, would be this:

1.  The CreateReservedRoom(JID) method is called, specifying the JID as a new GUID/string/identifier.
2.  Users A, B, and C all call the JoinRoom(JID, string) method using the newly created JID of the room and their nickname.
3.  All messages sent by these users are of type GroupChat, and are sent to the JID of the room.

Am I close?

The support you have given me in the past couple weeks has been exemplary.  Thank you so much for your help!

Regards,
Tim
Alex #4
Member since Feb 2003 · 4449 posts · Location: Germany
Group memberships: Administrators, Members
yes you are right.

The jid in a chatroom has the following format:

Roomname@Chatserver/Nickname

which means if you i want to join the room:
room name: jdev
chatserver: conference.jabber.org
nickname: Alex

then the Jid is jdev@conference.jabber.org/Alex

we will add some more overloads in one of the next releases to the MucManager for easier Jid handling. Or a static member to build this Jids.

Alex
Close Smaller – Larger + Reply to this post:
Verification code: VeriCode Please enter the word from the image into the text field below. (Type the letters only, lower case is okay.)
Smileys: :-) ;-) :-D :-p :blush: :cool: :rolleyes: :huh: :-/ <_< :-( :'( :#: :scared: 8-( :nuts: :-O
Special characters:
Forum: agsXMPP RSS